How to Proofread
Study Skills Activity on How to Proofread: This worksheet is the first part of two related class sessions on proofreading skills. This handout covers how to proofread your work carefully.
1. Proofreading your work is very important. When you proofread your work you check it carefully for mistakes.
2. Please go to this website:
Now click on the “Proofreading” button on the left hand side of the screen.
3. Read the information provided on this website and answer the following questions.
(i) What are the two stages in writing English for academic purposes?
(ii) During which stage does proofreading take place?
4. Now do the proofreading exercise on the bottom of the webpage. When you have finished, click on the button to check your answer.
1. Homophones are words which sound the same, but which have different spellings and different meanings. If you use the wrong homophone in your academic writing, you will not only make a grammatical mistake, but also might create confusion about your meaning.
2. For example, the words ‘their’ and ‘there’ are homophones. Choose the correct word in the following sentence:
Students should study carefully for their/there examinations.
3. Please go to this website:
4. You will notice that there is a small test on this website which contains 40 questions. Please complete the test online.
5. Now go to this webpage:
6. Now click on the “Proofreading” button on the left hand side of the screen. Then click on the “Word” link on the list at the top of the next screen. Then click on the “Try this exercise” link on the bottom of the page.
About the Author:
Compliments of www.study-tips-today.com
This Article is Brought to you by:
Student Study Guides Related Articles:
A CLEP exam, written by the College Board and administered by your home college, offers you the opportunity to earn college credit by taking a CLEP test. In ninety minutes, by taking a CLEP test, you can earn the same amou...
By: Susan Slobac