Signposting Your Presentation
By: Study Tips Today
Signposting your presentation is essential in order to give your talk good structure. You will need to use signposting to indicate the flow of your presentation to your audience. Signposting your presentation will therefore help your audience follow your talk.
These nine signposts cover the main rhetorical functions and help give structure and coherence to your presentation:
To recap / To digress / To summarize / To expand on / To move on / To turn to / To go back / To conclude / To elaborate on
EXERCISE 1: Match each of the phrases above with a description below.
1. When you want to go on to the next point. _________________
2. When you want to look at another related topic. _________________
3. When you want to return to something you said previously. _________________
4. When you want to go over the most important points again. _________________
5. When you want to provide a broader view of something. _________________
6. When you want to go into something in more detail. _________________
7. When you only want to state the basic points. _________________
8. When you want to move away from the central topic for a moment. _________________
9. When you want to finish the presentation. _________________
EXERCISE 2: You need to make sure that you can use these signposts naturally from memory.
To test your memory of how to use the signposts, cover your answers in Exercise 1 above and see if you can remember them.
Please visit our site often. We add new study skills activities every two weeks!
About the Author:
Compliments of the Study Tips Today website. This worksheet may be reproduced for classroom use.
This Article is Brought to you by:
Student Study Guides Related Articles:
Going to college is not easy today. The fees, books, travel all bring up a hefty sum of money that has to be spent for college education. Some people may in fact, have to take out some student loans to cope with all these ...
By: Gibran Selman
It is easy for a college student to rack up a lot of student debt. Eventually all of those student loans have to be repaid. Here are some tips to lower your student debt.You should not take any loan unless it i...
By: Dawn Enstruthe